
On April 28, I ended up going into the hospital, thinking I was in labor (2 minute apart contractions are supposed to mean labor, right?), was admitted, since I was 6 cm dilated already. Derek and I started to get excited, thinking we were having our baby that night....5 long and boring days of daytime television and hospital food later, I went back home. Still pregnant. I was only over 36 weeks pregnant, so I couldn't be too upset that he hadn't come yet, but I just hadn't pictured coming home without that baby! At my regular doctor's appointment the next day, my (wonderful) doctor told me that if I was still pregnant by May 12, she'd induce me. At least at that point, there was an end in sight!
On the morning of May 7, I was having some more contractions, nothing new. They started having a little bit of pressure, but like always, no pain, so I didn't think much of them. I was NOT going to go back to the hospital and let them keep me prisoner again for days if it wasn't the real thing. So I called Mom and Aunt Kim, (who were dealing with their own drama for the day, my mom put a sewing needle through her finger and the end broke off inside!), and they told me I should probably head in. Still putting it off, I called my nurse, and she said the same thing, so I decided to wait until Derek had his lunch break, then we could both head in.

We get to the hospital a little after 1:00, and a while later, find out I'm over 7 cm, so this baby is definately coming today! But, apparently I picked a popular afternoon to have a baby, because every Labor and Delivery room was full. So, they were taking me to a TEMPORARY room until they moved someone who was moving along slower than me. My temporary room had about the ambiance of a closet. It was full and cluttered and extra linens, office chairs, totes and trays. Just a mess. No real hospital bed, but a nice stretcher. And, since it wasn't a real labor/delivery room, no one had the decency to knock, making for a rather public experience. I think I met more then my fair share of hospital staff. My doctor arrived to check me out, and the plan was to break my waters just to keep progress going, since I have had a tendency to speed up, but then slow way down, then I was going to get an epidural. But, that didn't happen. I went from no pain, to lots of pain real fast, and that baby was coming soon, so-no epidural. Not in the plan. But what can you do? Smith came at 3:15. So from the time I got to the hospital to having a baby was 2 hours!
He's been a wonderful baby. He eats and sleeps so well. And he's sooooo cute! No cone head or yellow baby for me. He is truly adorable. Mom got here that night, which has been great. Skype has been super fun, letting us show Smith off to Dad and thekids at home. Although I still wish they could come up here in person, the camera just can't do him justice!
13 comments:
I'm in love :) I'm so glad you have a blog to put pictures up on :D
He is adorable!!! Thats crazy the room you were in lol. What an experience. :)
Congratulations! We are so happy for you. When he is older you will have quite the story to tell him about his birth.
congrats!! He's so adorable!! Isn't being a mom just the best!?!?
sooo cute! we are so so happy for you guys! it just keeps getting better (in my short experience)!keep the pictures coming. i can't get enough!!
He's super cute! Congrats!
He is amazing...way to go on putting pics on the blog and recording that day and that experience. You think you will never forget it, but believe me as time passes you'll be happy you wrote it down.
congrats!
Hooray!! What a gorgeous baby he is. I'm so excited for you guys. Enjoy this magical time. It will go too quickly. Congratulations!
Oh that's so awesome! Congrats you guys! Wish we could meet him. He is so adorable
I keep looking at this and I love him! <3
I am so happy for you. It sounds like you had quite a crazy birthing experience. Hopefully future deliveries won't be quite so chaotic. You're a trooper and he is adorable!
Congratulations!
I still can't believe they sent you home when you were dilated to a 6. That's crazy!
But, I'm glad everything worked out! You need to post some more pictures of him. They change so quickly!
Congratulations
Post a Comment