CLEAVERS
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
In need of your favorites....
As most of you may already know by now, I've officially been given oodles of time. It's only day 2 of an at least 6-week stint of bed rest, and I'm already bored! So, seeing as most of my friends and family aren't locally available to come over and chit chat, I'm calling on all of you to send me your top 5 favorite books and movies (maybe entertaining websites?) or even easy meal ideas to explain to someone not inclined to cooking!. I'm getting quite proficient at putting things on hold at the library, and I have a feeling Derek will get pretty good and picking them up for me! Feel free to send any other ideas of fun things you can do without venturing further then from a bed to a couch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I forgot to tell you hulu.com
i agree with katie! hulu is miraculous!
i would suggest maybe watching the mary tyler moore show. they have the first 4 or 5 seasons on hulu and even though it's 30 years old, it's just as relatable and hilarious as any other comedy show on tv!
movie suggestions:
1. away we go
2. pretty in pink
3. some kind of wonderful
4. paris, je t'aime
5. a mighty wind
6. little miss sunshine
7. chocolat
8. whale rider
9. everyone says i love you
10. bringing up baby
11. it happened one night
12. slumdog millionaire
books:
1. hunger games and catching fire by suzanne collins
2. the poisonwood bible by barbara kingsolver
3. the princess academy by shannon hale
4. the mother tongue: english and how it got that way by bill bryson
websites/blogs:
1. http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com
2. http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com
3. http://taza-and-husband.blogspot.com
4. yahoo daily crosswords
5. http://www.librivox.org
That totally stinks that you're on bedrest. I couldn't imagine how boring it would get!
Alex and I just recently signed up for the Netflix free trial. It's AWESOME! You just have to remember to cancel your account within 2 weeks or they'll charge you. You can watch almost any movie you can think of on their website!
...I'm addicted to Biggest Loser... Try it out! :)
Good luck with everything and I hope you get feeling better
I agree that hulu.com is a life saver in this situation. I just read an amazing book: Jane Eyre. Sherlock Holmes is also a suggestion. Good luck!
- Sarah
Hulu for sure.
1. Hulu has all 5 seasons of Lost on it right now. Excellent series and now is the perfect time to start as the final season starts in Feb.
2. Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Disgustingly intriguing.
3. Stargate 1 (SG1). I don't watch it but there are 10 seasons of it on hulu right now.
4. Bones. It's like a combination of CSI/Law & Order. Funny show.
5. Psych. One of my FAVORITE shows. I dont' know how many seasons are on hulu, but it is an excellent show.
Books:
1. The Midnighters (written by Scott Westerfield)
2. Uglies/Pretties/Specials (also by Scott Westerfield)
3. Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (Orson Scott Card)
4. The Long Walk to Freedom: Autobiography of Nelson Mandela (excellent book).
5. They Knew the Prophet. It's a collection of firsthand accounts of early church members encounters with the prophet.
-Daniel
how far along are you now Alyx? Boy or girl? (ps I don't know because I don't have time. Sorry)
I guess I'll say Netflix
Of course, hulu is a good pick. If you are a netflix member, that is a definite plus. I love watching movies on my computer, and there are many tv shows that you can also watch.
I watched a movie a while ago that is now one of my top. 'New in Town'. It is such a cute movie. Anyway, maybe you should take up crocheting while you are watching all these movies. It's really easy, and something else to do.
I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Anna Marie just finished it and enjoyed it as well. These is My Words by Nancy Turner is a good book as well. Happy reading. It sounds like you are truly becoming a couch potato
Maybe while you watch hulu you should take up crocheting (or similar) that way you'll feel like you accomplished something? i love series books like, children of the promise, and work and the glory. that could take a few months to read for me, for you a good month! maybe scrapbook your wedding if you havent already! or get pages ready for baby so you wont have to do it later just insert picture. when this is all said and done you might be surprised at what you wished you had more time to do so try to take advantage of it. matbe you could write a book or biography, something you could give to your children when they get older.just take what you want from my suggestions and flush the rest! love you guys
-andrea
Alyx,
My mom and I made books this past
Christmas using a company called Blurb at www.blurb.com
You download their program for free and then design your book, adding pictures and text. I made books of each of my boys starting from birth until the present. This company is particularly inexpensive (compared to others), easy to use, and the end product is very nice.
I had A LOT of fun making the books. I don't officially scrapbook, so this is my way of doing that. Check it out. But beware, you just might get hooked! Also, you can slurp your blog into a book through their company. I use my blog as a journal. Let me know what you think!
Post a Comment